Buildings are a core element of Foundation. To meet the medieval town inhabitants' needs, players must unlock and build new buildings. Players place construction sites by choosing from the 'Build Public Buildings' menu in the top right corner. All buildings require builders to build them.
Houses will be placed automatically by homeless villagers that are serfs or above, after unlocking and painting a Residential Area. They will also automatically be upgraded in level or density based on necessity and availability of resources. Most buildings have a Maintenance Cost once completed.
The following buildings are placed by players and need villagers assigned to work in them (except the well).
- Apiary - Part of the monastery. Produces Honey.
- Bakery - Uses Flour and Water to bake Bread.
- Blacksmith - Uses Coal and Iron to craft Tools.
- Brewery - Uses Wheat, Hops, and Water to create Beer.
- Candle Workshop - Produces Candle from Wax, Iron and Tools.
- Cheesemaker - Produces Cheese from Milk.
- Coal Hut - Produces Coal from Wood.
- Cooperage - Produces Barrel from Planks, Iron and Tools.
- Dairy Farm - Produces Milk from cows.
- Fisher's Hut - Placed near water to produce Fish. Unlocked with Splendor
- Forester Camp - Replants trees in the Reforestation zone.
- Gathering Camp - Gathers Berries from wild berry sources.
- Glass Smelter - Produces Glass from Quartz and Coal.
- Gold Smelter - Produces Gold (gold bars) from Gold Ore.
- Granary - Used for stocking and trading of food.
- Herb Garden - Part of the monastery. Produces Herbs.
- Hop Farm - Produces Hops.
- Hunter's Hut - Produces Boar. Unlocked with Splendor
- Iron Mine - Gathers Iron Ore.
- Iron Smelter - Uses Coal and Iron Ore to cast Iron.
- Jeweler Workshop - Produces Jewelry for Gold and Gems.
- Lumber Camp - Produces Wood from chopped trees.
- Sawmill - Produces Planks from Wood.
- Sheep Farm - Produces Wool from sheep.
- Stonecutter Camp - Gathers Stone from quarries or stone deposits.
- Stonemason Hut - Produces Polished Stone from Stone.
- Tailor's Workshop - Crafts Common Clothes from Cloth.
- Vineyard - Part of the monastery. Produces Grapes.
- Warehouse - Used for stocking and trading of resources.
- Weaver Hut - Produces Cloth from Wool.
- Weaponsmith - Uses Coal, Iron and Tools to craft Swords. Unlocked with Splendor.
- Well - Provides Water to villagers and Bakeries.
- Wheat Farm - Produces Wheat.
- Windmill - Produces Flour from Wheat.
- Winery - Part of the monastery. Produces Wine from Grapes and Barrels.
The monuments consist of modular buildings the player can construct however he wishes. Different parts may have different functions.
- Church - Satisfies the Service need, increases the desirability of land and the village's overall Splendor. Unlocked with Influence
- Roman Church - Satisfies the Service need, increases the desirability of land and the village's overall Splendor. Unlocked with blueprint.
- Rustic Church - Satisfies the Service need, increases the desirability of land and the village's overall Splendor.
- Legacy Rustic Church - Satisfies the Service need, increases the desirability of land and the village's overall Splendor. Unlocked with blueprint.
- Monastery - Raises Splendor Allows for the production of the luxury goods Honey, Herbs and Wine. Unlocked with Influence
- Lord Manor - Raises Splendor. Allows more Soldiers, depending on number of treasuries.
- Market - Sells food, common goods and luxury goods to villagers.
- Tavern - Sells alcoholic beverages to citizens and above. Can also produce Meals from Boar and Cheese. Unlocked with Influence
- Stone Bridge - Provides a way for villagers to cross gaps. Built with Stone.
- Wooden Bridge - Provides a way for villagers to cross gaps. Built with Planks.
- Wooden Keep - Allows assigning at least ten Soldiers and provides the ability to aid the King in war. Unlocked with Influence
NOTE: In order to make monuments taller, when you place a core or tower in your desired space there is a small green up/down arrow. Click on that and hold the mouse button down while moving it up and down to raise the height of your building to the desired level.
Purely decorative assets to beautify your town. Some can also be used to raise land value.
- Decorative Bush
- Decorative Tree
- Plant Arch
- Road Sign
- Sheep Statue
- Wooden Gate - An open decorative gate. Combine it with walls for best effect.
Next to the building menu is the 'Build Walls' menu. Walls block villager pathing and are other wise only aesthetic. Currently, walls cost no materials and are built instantly.
- Large Stone Wall
- Small Stone Wall
- Wooden Wall
- Tavern Wall